I love mussels, the large and fleshy kind. I bought two boxes of frozen New Zealand mussels since they were on sale during the Hariraya season (everything is on sale during Hariraya). I’ve been cooking this extremely easy recipe, and a lot of people seems to be a fan. Composing a soup or a chowder base for that matter, from scratch is quite a tedious job. You’d have to prepare many ingredients and boil and tenderize them for long. That’s why this recipe is just so easy because it’s basically from a can.
MUSHROOMY MUSSEL CHOWDER RECIPE
- a whole white onion – minced
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 pieces hot chili (depending on the hotness you prefer) – cut into tidbits
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 12 pcs. large mussels on a half-shell – precooked, if bought fresh, cook by quick boiling
- 290-gram can of Campbell’s cream of mushroom
- 200 ml chicken stock or water (+ 1 chicken cube)
- 200 ml evaporated creamer/milk
Optional: (for added flavor and chunkiness)
- a handful of mushrooms cut into small pieces – preferably button mushrooms, but any would do
- sausage or hotdog cut into tidbits.
1. Sautee onion, garlic, and chilis in butter on medium flame. Add in hotdog pieces and mushroom; sautee further until sweated out.
2. Pour in Campbell’s cream of mushroom. Gradually add water or stock and milk while stirring. Continuously stir until free of lumps.
3. Add the mussels and simmer in low fire for 5 minutes.
Serve hot in individual bowls with either freshly baked or toasted bread. Have a nice lunch!